This Air Fryer Rotisserie Chicken recipe makes roasting your whole chicken so much easier! In under an hour, you’ll have a perfectly tender, juicy chicken with crispy skin that rivals any grocery store or deli rotisserie chicken!
Air Fryer Rotisserie Chicken Recipe
I’m having fun with my new kitchen staple, so I’m making a fall-apart-tender rotisserie chicken in air fryer oven! I’m absolutely thrilled with the Instant Pot Vortex Plus and even more thrilled with my absolutely delicious homemade rotisserie chickens!
How To Make Air Fryer Rotisserie Chicken
Begin with preparing the chicken: empty out the body cavity ( remove any gizzards, if inside ), place your chicken on a clean cutting board and pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Trim the tail off, if desired, as well as any excess skin or fatty deposits.
Mix your seasoning, including paprika ( smoked paprika is best ), garlic powder, onion powder, lemon zest, salt and pepper, in a small bowl and set aside. Quarter the lemon that you used for zest and place it inside the body cavity of the chicken.
Next, drizzle olive oil on your fryer chicken and rub it into the skin on all sides of the chicken. Sprinkle seasoning on your chicken and rub it into the skin as well.
Truss your chicken with kitchen twine so that the wings and legs are bound. Otherwise, they will flop loosely with each rotation of the chicken.
Once your whole fryer is trussed, push the rotisserie spit ( or rod ) through the chicken and use the forks included with your Vortex Plus to secure each end of the chicken to the rotisserie rod. Line your drip pan with aluminum foil for easy cleanup, then set your air fryer so it is preheating to 380 ºF ( 193 ºC ).
You will have the option to ‘air fry’ or ‘roast’ the chicken. While both will work with a very similar cook time, I like the crispy skin that results from the air fry cooking option.
Set the air fryer cooking time for 40 minutes and wait for the indicator to ‘add food‘. Once your air fryer is preheated, load the rotisserie spit in by pulling the red lever on the left and latching it into the left side of the rotisserie first. Slide the rod along the metal bar on the right until the rod drops into the catch and is securely in place.
Close your air fryer door and cook for 40 minutes. Check your chicken’s internal temperature after the 40 minutes, and continue to cook in 5 minute intervals until your chicken has an internal temperature of 165 ºF ( 74 ºC ) at the thickest points. This is the USDA food safety recommended internal temperature, that should be read using a digital meat thermometer.
Can I Use Any Size Chicken? What Size Chicken Can I Use In My Vortex Plus?
No, you cannot use any size chicken. Most whole chickens at the grocery store are over 4 lbs, so you will have to look for a smaller fryer chicken.
Your chicken should be no more than 4 pounds for cooking in the Instant Pot Vortex Plus. Anything larger will rub on the interior of the air fryer oven and possibly burn portions of your rotisserie chicken.
Leftover Rotisserie Chicken
Air Fryer Rotisserie Chicken
- 4 lb whole fryer chicken (3-4 lb chicken is best - I recommend no more than 4 lbs in the Vortex Plus)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 lemon (zested and quartered)
- each, salt & pepper (to taste)
- Prepare your chicken by ensuring that the inner cavity is clean and giblets are removed. Place chicken on a clean cutting board.
- Combine seasoning ingredients (paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, lemon zest) in a small bowl and set aside.
- Trim the tail from your chicken, if desired, as well as any excess fat. Stuff the lemon quarters into the body cavity, then coat the chicken with olive oil and rub the seasoning into the skin.
- Use cooking twine to truss the chicken so that the legs and wings do not flap while rotating on the rotisserie function.
- Push the rotisserie spit through the chicken and secure with the rotisserie forks on each end. Line your drip tray with aluminum foil (for easier cleanup).
- Set the air fryer to 380 degrees F (193 degrees C) and select either 'air fry' or 'roast'. *I recommend the air fry option for crispier skin. Set the time for 40 minutes.
- When your air fryer is preheated and indicates to 'add food' load the left side of your rotisserie spit in the vortex plus first, pressing the red lever. Then slide the right side along the metal bar until it drops down into the catch and is securely in place.
- Close the door and cook for 40 minutes. Check the internal temperature of your chicken using a meat thermometer. Cook for an additional 5 minutes at a time, if needed, until the safe internal temperature of 165 degrees F (74 degrees C) is reached.
- Use the Vortex Plus y-rod to remove the chicken, pressing the red lever to release the rotisserie spit. Transfer the cooked chicken to a cutting board or plate and cover loosely with aluminum foil for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma’s kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!