Apple Cake Topped with Almonds Recipe
This delightfully delicious apple cake topped with almonds recipe is a great treat any day of the week! Another super way to use some of those apples sitting around, other than fabulous, homemade applesauce…and that applesauce could also be combined into this recipe for a real kick to the apple flavor! This is definitely one of those desserts that just doesn’t stand a chance of lasting long in our household, and best of all, you don’t feel guilty for eating it. I’ve justified it as there is no streusel topping, no frosting, no icing…and I really did make it for the kids so its totally OK, right?!
You will need eggs, sugar, butter, water, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon zest, flour, baking powder, apples, lemon juice and almond slices (or substitute with your favorite chopped or sliced nuts). For your baking dish, a 10 inch springform pan with a removable base is recommended. Butter your baking pan thoroughly and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a a large mixing bowl or your stand mixer bowl, cream together the softened butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy. Add the eggs and continue to combine thoroughly before adding water, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Zest your lemon end then set aside the lemon for using the juice with the apple slices. Add the lemon zest and baking powder.
Blend the mixture until the newly added ingredients are completely blended into the creamed butter, sugar and eggs. Add flour and combine so that all of the flour has been incorporated into the wet batter. Set aside your batter and prepare your apples.
When slicing apples, have the lemon juice from the zested lemon ready to sprinkle over the chunks and slices of apples to prevent browning. Use two of the three apples to slice and cut into chunks, sprinkle the chunks with lemon juice as you cut up the apples. When you are done with the first two apples, add the chunked apple pieces into the batter and transfer to your buttered springform pan.
Slice the third and last apple into slices for arranging onto the top of the batter. Sprinkle slices with lemon juice as well, then place onto the top of the batter in a spiral arrangement. Add sliced or chopped almonds by sprinkling over the top of the batter and apple slices, then bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45-55 minutes or until golden brown and your knife comes out clean when testing the center of the cake. Slice and serve, enjoy in the morning with your coffee or pair it with ice cream!
Apple Cake Topped with Almonds Recipe
- 5 Tbsp butter (softened, room temperature)
- 2/3 c sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 c water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- lemon zest (zest of one whole large lemon)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 3/4 c all-purpose flour
- 3 apples (recommend Gala, Fuji, Honeycrisp or Braeburn)
- lemon juice (for apples when slicing)
- almonds (sliced or chopped for topping)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and butter a 10" springform pan.
- In a large mixing bowl or your stand mixer bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy. Add eggs and combine into the creamed mixture until smooth.
- Add water, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon zest and baking powder and mix until thoroughly combined. Add flour and mix until a thick batter is formed. Set aside and get your apples ready.
- Slice 2 of your apples and then cut into chunks, sprinkling with lemon juice as you cut and slice your apples. Add the apple chunks to the batter mixture, stir to combine and then transfer apple batter to your buttered springform pan.
- Slice the remaining apple, sprinkling the slices with the lemon juice as you go. Arrange the sliced apples onto the top of the batter in a spiral pattern, then top with sliced or chopped almonds.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45-55 minutes until golden brown or until knife comes out clean from the center of the cake.