This quick and easy Chicken Divan Casserole can be put together with leftovers and thrown in the oven, yet it is such an amazing comfort food recipe! Pull apart a rotisserie chicken or pan fry some chicken meat for a delicious, classic family meal! Try my other tasty chicken spaghetti casserole for dinner. The whole family is also sure to love the cheesy goodness of my Southern baked macaroni and cheese!
Chicken Divan Casserole Recipe
I’ve always loved having a few staple casseroles as my go-to for a quick and easy dinner on hectic nights. No matter how busy my family and I have been in the daytime, at least we know there’s a hot meal to look forward to!
This recipe is one that my mother-in-law always made when my husband was growing up ( she also made the hamburger pie casserole recipe on the blog ), so it’s another family meal that is extra special to him.
The tuna casseroles here on the blog are all mine, from my grandmother. Either the cheesy tuna casserole using cream of chicken or cream of mushroom, whichever you prefer. Or the panko topped tuna casserole from scratch ( no condensed soups! ).
How To Make Chicken Divan Casserole
Preheat your oven to 350 ºF ( 175 ºC ) and butter or coat your 1.5 – 2 qt casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream of chicken ( or cream of mushroom ) with the chicken broth and milk, then add salt and pepper. Stir to combine the wet ingredients. *For an upgrade to your chicken divan casserole flavor, try adding a Knorr chicken bullion cube!
Add the cooked rice and cut broccoli ( add extra cheeses if desired, I like to use some Parmigiano as well ). You can add the cut cooked chicken at this point and combine everything well. Or wait for the chicken to finish cooking if you need to pan fry some chicken meat.
Add the cooked and cut chicken meat, if you have not already done so. I like to add salt, pepper, and paprika when quickly pan frying my chicken. As you can see the pan juices are paprika colored and are a wonderful addition to your chicken divan casserole’s flavor!
Stir to combine the chicken casserole ingredients and transfer to your prepared baking or casserole dish. Top with grated cheddar cheese. *If desired, add a 1/4 cup sprinkle of panko crumb topping before baking.
Bake at 350 ºF ( 175 ºC ), covered, for 25 minutes. Remove the cover and allow to cook the last 10 minutes uncovered.
The sauce should be bubbling around the casserole dish edges, and the cheese topping should be completely melted and lightly browned.
Remove from the oven when done and allow to cool for about 5 minutes before serving this super easy chicken divan bake. Enjoy!
Chicken Divan Bake
- 2 cups chicken (cooked pieces)
- 3 cups white rice (cooked)
- 3 cups broccoli florets (fresh - thawed and drained, if using frozen)
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of chicken ( or use cream of mushroom)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp each, salt & pepper (or to taste)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and butter or coat your 1.5 - 2 qt casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream of chicken with the chicken broth and milk, then add salt and pepper. Add chicken, rice, and broccoli and stir to combine.
- Transfer to your prepared baking dish and then top with grated cheddar cheese. *Plus optional panko topping, if desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), covered, for 25 minutes. Remove the cover and allow to cook the last 10 minutes uncovered. The sauce should be bubbling around the casserole dish edges, and the cheese topping should be lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven when done and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma’s kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!