Who can resist the classic flavors of Chocolate Oatmeal No Bake Cookies (without peanut butter)? Not me. The perfectly cooked syrup will set up with the oats for a texture that is pure chocolate fudgy delight!
I love that these easy 5 minute cookies bring back childhood memories of sneaking the still-setting-up Chocolate Oatmeal No Bake Cookies (without peanut butter) from the kitchen counter. It also makes me think my daughter is well trained not to touch anything in the kitchen that isn’t clearly fair game to eat (as in, it’s already photographed and ready to be shared here!). Or she just has more self control than I did as a kid 🙂
This cousin to my other no bake cookies, the original version that I grew up with that is also sans peanut butter (to let the chocolate flavor shine on its own) is my chocolate no bake cookies. They may be without peanut butter, but they do include the coconut that may be the classic version you remember!
And since I don’t want to make you think I’m a peanut butter hater (I’m really not!) I also have my creamy peanut butter oatmeal no bake cookies. It’s just one of those quirky me things, sometimes I don’t like my flavors combined. Or I just really remember it the one way from childhood. Either way, I cannot have my chocolate and peanut butter combined in these tasty cookies!
Chocolate Oatmeal No Bake Cookies (without peanut butter) Ingredients
These simple no bake cookies are made using 6 ingredients including butter, sugar, milk, vanilla, cocoa, and quick oats. For best results we suggest using quick oats in your no bake cookies only. Firmer oats like old fashioned oatmeal and steel cut oats won’t absorb the syrup as well, and will yield a set cookie texture with much more ‘chew’ than when using quick oats.
Last Updated: December 17th, 2018
Chocolate Oatmeal No Bake Cookies (without peanut butter)
- 2 c sugar
- 1/2 c butter (1 stick - salted)
- 1/2 c milk
- 4 Tbsp cocoa
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 c oatmeal (use quick oats, not old fashioned or steel cut oats)
- Combine the butter, sugar, and milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high to high heat (enough to bring the syrup to a rapid boil). Stir frequently to prevent burning or boiling over!
- Once the syrup is at a full rolling boil, stir and cook for 1 minute then remove from heat.
- Add the vanilla and cocoa, stir until the syrup is smooth. Add the quick oats and stir until evenly coated with the syrup.
- Drop tablespoon sized portions onto waxed paper, use the back of a spoon to make cookie shaped (rather than a no bake cookie mound) if desired. Allow to set up for one hour.