A classic chocolate no bake cookie is taken to new levels with these quick and easy to make Chocolate Peppermint No Bake Cookies!
The peppermint frosting that tops these fudgy chocolate cookies is a tasty base for the festive addition of crushed candy canes that makes these holiday cookies so darn cute!
Best of all, the combination of chocolate and peppermint is a no fail flavor combination. It’s like peppermint bark in cookie form. And the texture combination with the fudgy chocolate cookie base and creamy peppermint frosting that’s studded with the colorful crushed candy canes is just a wonderful treat!!
Use my chocolate no bake cookies (without peanut butter, but including coconut) or my chocolate oatmeal no bake cookies (without peanut butter, but only including quick oats) as shown here for your base cookie. I opted for the chocolate oatmeal cookies as I didn’t want any coconut with my peppermint flavors, but I’m weird like that and fully encourage you to mix and match to your hearts content!
If you’re looking for more no bake holiday treats, my coconut coated maraschino cherry chocolate chip crisps are a quick and easy addition.
In the midst of your holiday baking right now? Check out my traditional rolled sugar cookies for cut-outs and my no chill rolled sugar cookies for cut-outs! And don’t forget my sugar cookie frosting that hardens, and is ultra white for perfect coloring!!
Chocolate Peppermint No Bake Cookies Ingredients
The base no bake cookies are made using sugar, butter, milk, vanilla, cocoa, and quick oats (use quick oats for the texture, using old fashioned oats or steel cut oats can make your cookie too ‘chewy’). The peppermint frosting ingredients include butter, confectioners sugar, heavy cream (or half & half or milk), peppermint extract, and then topped with crushed candy canes.
Chocolate Peppermint No Bake Cookies
Chocolate No Bake Cookies
- 2 c sugar
- 1/2 c butter (1 stick - salted)
- 1/2 c milk
- 4 Tbsp cocoa
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 c oatmeal (quick oats - or use 2 c oatmeal, 1 c shredded coconut)
- 1/4 c butter (salted, softened at room temperature)
- 1 1/2 c confectioners sugar
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream (half & half or milk will also work)
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 candy canes (crushed, optional topping)
Chocolate No Bake Cookies
- Combine the butter, sugar, and milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high to high heat (enough to bring the syrup to a rapid boil). Stir frequently to prevent burning or boiling over!
- Once the syrup is at a full rolling boil, stir and cook for 1 minute then remove from heat.
- Add the vanilla and cocoa, stir until the syrup is smooth. Add the quick oats and stir until evenly coated with the syrup.
- Drop tablespoon sized portions onto waxed paper, use the back of a spoon to make cookie shaped (rather than a no bake cookie mound) if desired. Allow to set up for one hour.
- In a medium bowl, or the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the butter until creamy and light in color.
- Add the confectioners sugar, peppermint extract and half of the heavy cream (reserve the second half to adjust consistency of the frosting). Combine until smooth and creamy, adding more heavy cream as needed. Your frosting should be just firm enough to not run off the cookie, but not as firm as frosting that would be piped.
- Crush candy canes in a plastic (ziploc) bag and sprinkle over frosting.