Our favorite chicken for enchiladas and more are these Cilantro Lime Chicken Thighs! We love to use these perfectly flavored chicken thighs for tacos, chimichangas, quesadillas, burritos, and taquitos, too!
Allow a little bit of time for these chicken thighs to soak in the cilantro lime marinade, and the rest is done in a flash!
To make your cilantro lime marinade…
In a medium bowl, combine the olive oil, lime juice (with pulp), chopped cilantro, finely minced garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Whisk the marinade ingredients together until thoroughly combined, then place the chicken in the bowl of marinade and turn the chicken pieces to coat them well. Allow to soak for at least an hour (longer is always better, but an hour will work).
To cook up your cilantro lime chicken thighs…
After marinating the chicken thighs for an hour or more, heat a large skillet or frying pan to medium high heat. Once the skillet or frying pan is nice and hot, add the chicken (marinade and all) and cook for about 3-4 minutes per side. Cook both sides until they take on a nice golden coloring, then cover the skillet or frying pan and reduce the heat to medium. Cook the cilantro lime chicken thighs, covered, and on medium heat for about 10 minutes. Check the cooking chicken for done-ness and remove any pieces that are done. Our smaller thighs were done at this 10 minute mark, while our largest chicken thigh took an additional 5 minutes of cooking while covered.
Remove the thighs from the skillet or frying pan and serve immediately, with optional garnish, if desired (we like to squeeze fresh lime on our chicken tacos!). Enjoy!
*When we are using our cilantro lime chicken thighs in a dish that will be heated again, such as chimichangas or enchiladas, I may pull all of the chicken thighs out at the 10 minute mark and move on to the next step (as the chicken will be cooked again in a baked dish like these two examples).
Cilantro Lime Chicken Thighs
- 4 chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lime juice (fresh, include the pulp)
- 4 Tbsp cilantro (fresh, finely chopped stems and leaves)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp each, salt & pepper (to taste)
- lime wedges & cilantro (for garnish, if desired)
- Combine marinade ingredients in a medium bowl: whisk the olive oil, lime juice (and pulp), cilantro, finely minced garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper until thoroughly combined, then place the chicken thighs into the marinade and allow to marinate for at least an hour.
- Heat a large skillet or frying pan to medium high heat, once heated, add the marinated chicken and sear both sides for 3-4 minutes until they get a nice bit of color. Once both sides have a nice golden color, cover the skillet or frying pan. Reduce the heat to medium and check the thighs for done-ness after about 10 minutes (our smaller pieces were done at this 10 minute mark, the largest took an additional 5 minutes cooking covered at medium heat). Remove from heat and serve immediately, with optional garnish of lime wedges and cilantro, if desired.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma’s kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!