This is such an easy way to make potatoes, you are sure to love this foil packet roasted baby red potatoes bacon and onion recipe! If you have kids around that love to help this is a great recipe to turn them loose with (after everything is cut up, depending on their age(s)) as the packets are so easy to put together.
We made these for the video (and dinner, of course!) and my little kitchen assistant was directing, so much so that the last portion of the video shows the packet ingredients being placed on the aluminum foil, but off center.
I didn’t even notice at the time, the chatter was so consistent that evening, as our daughter pushed for me to let her finish putting together the rest of the potato packets!
This is how she made the rest of the loaded foil packets (pouches)…divide cut potatoes, bacon, and onion into equal portions for however many packets you are making. We are making 4 tonight. Pull off a square of aluminum foil for each packet and stack them on top of each other next to your working space where the prepped ingredients are sitting.
Add one portion of each of the ingredients starting with the potatoes, then onion, bacon, seasoning (optional, to taste – salt, pepper, and garlic powder) and top it all off with a 1 Tbsp pat of butter. Seal up the packets when each is done and repeat until all of your packets are ready to go into the oven.
Cook in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for one hour, or until potatoes are tender when forked. Yes, you can cook them faster (at 425 degrees F) but this is our preferred method as it has yielded the best and most flavorful results 🙂
Open the foil packets cautiously to avoid steam burns, serve up the contents, and throw away the mess! Enjoy!
Foil Packet Roasted Baby Red Potatoes Bacon and Onion Recipe
- 3 or 4 potatoes (sliced - we used baby red potatoes, but use your favorite!)
- 4 strips bacon (sliced)
- 1/2 onion (small, or use 1 shallot - chopped or diced)
- 4 pats butter (1 pat of butter per packet, approx 1 Tbsp each)
- each, salt & pepper (to taste)
- garlic powder (optional, to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) - you can set the temp higher for faster cook times but the flavors blend nicely with a longer cook time.
- Pull off 4 squares of aluminum foil. Portion out sliced potatoes, bacon and onion. Season with garlic powder, salt & pepper. Top each packets ingredients with a pat of butter.
- Seal packets and bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for one hour or until potatoes are tender.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma’s kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!