Creamy, cheesy, perfectly bite sized Homemade Baked Mac N Cheese Bites are a great finger food snack for kids and on-the-go appetizer!
This is also definitely one of those great recipes to make with kids, and our daughter just loves to help with making them (and taste testing, of course!).
We love homemade macaroni and cheese!
If you are making the stove top kind, which this would be if you leave the egg out, you can also serve up your portions for the meal and then mix up the remaining leftovers with an egg and spoon out as many baked mac n cheese bites as you have leftovers for…
To Make Your Homemade Baked Mac N Cheese Bites…
To get started on these, preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C) and either butter or spray your mini muffin pan tray with non-stick cooking spray.
Start your elbow macaroni water (and cook the pasta following package instructions), and then heat a medium saucepan to medium heat.
Add the butter to the saucepan to melt it, then add the heavy cream, milk, and cream cheese.
Bring the sauce mixture to a low simmer long enough to be able to break up and melt the cream cheese (putting the cream cheese into the mixture in smaller pieces helps speed this up).
Add the sharp cheddar cheese, garlic powder, salt, pepper, dry mustard powder (optional) and stir all of the ingredients together until the sharp cheddar cheese is melted.
Remove the sauce from heat when the cheese is fully melted and pour over the cooked and drained elbow macaroni.
Add the beaten egg and stir until all of the pasta is evenly coated with cheese and the egg has been completely incorporated into the mac n cheese.
Spoon portions of the mac n cheese into the mini muffin pan cups, to the top edge, and then top each with a small portion of grated cheese.
Bake at 400 degrees F (204 degrees C) for 20 minutes, or until the tops of the mac n cheese bites are turning golden brown.
Allow the homemade baked mac n cheese bites to setup in the pan for about 5 minutes, then pop them out using a knife down one side or your fingers…I am usually able to pull up on an edge to get the cheesy, fun bites out.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Homemade Baked Mac N Cheese Bites
- 8 oz elbow macaroni (cooked and drained)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1/2 c milk
- 2 oz cream cheese (1/4 of a standard 8 oz package)
- 2 c sharp cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 pinch each, salt & pepper (or to taste)
- 1 pinch dry mustard powder (optional)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C) and coat the muffin cups of a mini muffin pan tray with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
- While your elbow macaroni is cooking, start the cheese sauce by melting the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the heavy cream, milk, and cream cheese to the melted butter and bring to simmering long enough to fully melt the cream cheese.
- Add the sharp cheddar cheese and seasoning (garlic powder, salt, pepper, dry mustard powder) and combine, stirring enough to melt the added cheddar. Remove from heat and pour over the cooked and drained elbow macaroni. Stir in the beaten egg until all of the pasta is evenly coated with cheese and the egg is distributed throughout the mac and cheese.
- Spoon the macaroni and cheese into the mini muffin pan cups up to the edge, then top each with a small portion of grated cheese. Bake at 400 degrees F (204 degrees C) for 20 minutes or until the tops and sides of the mac n cheese bites are turning golden brown.
- Allow the mac n cheese bites to cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then pop them out gently with a knife on one side. Serve immediately.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma’s kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!