Whether you’re making pancakes, waffles, crepes, or something else totally tasty this Homemade Blueberry Syrup is an amazing topping! Rich in blueberry flavor, perfectly sweet, plus a hint of lemon. Delicious!
I definitely love to double up on the blueberry when I’ve made this syrup and prefer to use some to top off my blueberry pancakes from scratch. Or make dessert crepes with whipped cream and this syrup (and some more fresh blueberries thrown on the top of those too)!
If you thought that making your own berry syrup might be a hassle, don’t worry…this syrup is made quite easily with minimal steps. I like to keep my berry content, so there is no need to strain it through a fine mesh or cheesecloth to remove the solids from the berries. Do blitz the berries until fine in your food processor (or NutriBullet, like I did) with the water called for in the recipe.
Remember that when you reduce the syrup at a low simmer, once the syrup is removed from the heat it will continue to thicken. So make sure that you stop before your syrup has reached your desired thickness 🙂
Serve warm or completely cooled and store any remaining syrup in an airtight container (will store refrigerated for up to two weeks). Enjoy!
Homemade Blueberry Syrup
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar (or honey)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (fresh squeezed, about half a large lemon)
- If you like a smooth syrup, blitz the berries and water (include any juice from frozen blueberry packaging, and reduce the amount of water used) in a food processor (or NutriBullet). If you like a bit of berry in your syrup, you can skip this step.
- In a small saucepan, bring the berries, water, sugar (or honey), and lemon juice to a low boil and reduce heat to simmering, stirring occasionally. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until the syrup begins to thicken to it's 'syrupy' consistency.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool, the syrup will thicken as it cools. Serve warm or completely cooled. Store any unused syrup in an airtight container (will store refrigerated for up to two weeks).
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma’s kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!