Instant Pot Chipotle Barbacoa Beef Cheeks
We love these Instant Pot Chipotle Barbacoa Beef Cheeks for how super easy they are, while still being packed with amazing flavors! They’re a super way to cook up your beef cheeks (or brisket, or even a roast works – rump or chuck!) for the ease and convenience we all know and expect from our instant pots or pressure cookers!
Additionally, the fun and festive Cinco De Mayo holiday is just around the corner and our instant pot beef barbacoa is a fantastic dish to enjoy with friends and family! Of course, if you are like us you certainly don’t need an excuse to cook up some of your favorite Mexican inspired meals.
Our family never passes up taco night, and regularly debates tacos vs fajitas. Tacos won out tonight and we will be loading them up with this super tender, fall apart, barbacoa beef cheeks. They are always a hit, and they’ll be steaming hot and ready to serve in about 45 minutes! Enjoy!
Last Updated: April 14th, 2018
Instant Pot Chipotle Barbacoa Beef
- 2.5 lbs beef cheeks (fat trimmed, cut into 1 1/2 - 2 inch chunks)
- 1 tsp each, salt & pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (fresh, chopped - more for garnish, if desired)
- 1-2 chipotle pepper(s) in adobo sauce (use more chipotle peppers with the adobo sauce for more heat, or use 1/2 tsp groud chipotle for less heat)
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 medium navel orange (juice and zest - or use 2 limes)
- 2 cups beef broth
- Set your instant pot or pressure cooker to saute, add the olive oil and allow both to warm before adding your chunked beef cheeks. Add the beef cheeks once the pot has warmed, then cover with seasoning (salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, and ground cloves). Stir to coat the meat with seasoning.
- Allow the beef cheek cubes to brown on all sides, then add the chopped cilantro and orange zest (you can use dried orange peel and orange juice from concentrate, or limes as a substitute) along with the chipotle pepper and adobo sauce. Stir to combine.
- Add the tomato paste, orange juice, and beef broth then turn off the saute function and seal the instant pot or pressure cooker. Use the manual setting to set the time to 45 minutes.
- When the cook time has ended, turn your instant pot or pressure cooker off and allow it to do a natural release (which will take 20 minutes, or more depending on how full your instant pot or pressure cooker is).
- Remove the meat from the juices, place into a bowl or plate and use a pair of forks to shred the beef cheeks. Stir some more fresh cilantro in, or sprinkle over the top to serve.