Shanghai Beef is a quick stir fry including onions, mushrooms, asparagus and Angus sirloin steak. The secret to an amazing home made version is in the sauce…
I have had to work at perfecting the Panda Express Shanghai Angus Steak Copycat for my husband as it is a favorite! Whenever he is traveling for work, he calls me as he is wrapping up his day and asks me to find the nearest Panda Express…Panda is his favorite quick eats, and this Shanghai Angus Steak is his favorite entree.
The key to really getting this copycat recipe right is the kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce). Now don’t worry if you don’t happen to have this syrupy sauce on hand, we have the quick version of kecap manis ready for you here complete with video 😉
You will also need Chinese Rice Wine. We don’t usually have this on hand either, so we opted to use cooking sherry which is a very acceptable alternative. The results are great!
The beef is tender and the asparagus is cooked to a perfect tenderness…we love it! Make it saucy like we prefer, and have plenty of the amazing sauce to serve your Shanghai Beef over a bed of rice. Yummy!
We hope you enjoy this Panda Express Shanghai Angus Steak as much as we do!
Panda Express Recipes
- Panda Express Orange Chicken
- Panda Express Shanghai Angus Steak (this page)
- Panda Express Chow Mein
- Panda Express Honey Walnut Shrimp
- Panda Express SweetFire Chicken Breast
- Easy Fried Rice Better than Panda!
Panda Express Shanghai Angus Steak Copycat
- 12 oz Angus sirloin steak (cut into 1" strips)
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 4 Tbsp soy sauce (divided - 1 Tbsp portion & 3 Tbsp portion)
- 2 Tbsp sesame seed oil
- 1/2 Tbsp garlic (minced)
- 1 small white onion (sliced & cut into 1" pieces)
- 12 oz asparagus (1 bunch, cut into 1" pieces)
- 1 1/2 cups white mushrooms (sliced)
- 1/2 cup Chinese Rice Wine (or cooking sherry)
- 1 Tbsp kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and the 1 Tbsp portion of soy sauce. Add the steak slices and coat well. Set aside and marinate in the cornstarch mixture for at least an hour.
- Combine your sauce: in a small bowl add the remaining portion of soy sauce with the kecap manis and Worcestershire sauce. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet or wok over high heat. Add the sesame seed oil and wait for it to start smoking slightly. Add the garlic and onion, stir fry for 1-2 minutes until the onion begins to get translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Add the marinated steak and cook until no longer pink (about 4-5 minutes). Add the asparagus, then Chinese Rice Wine or cooking sherry, and stir fry for about 1 minute before adding the sauce (combined soy sauce, kecap manis, and Worcestershire) and black pepper.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes (covered if you want your Shanghai Angus Steak to be nice and saucy) or until the asparagus has reached your desired level of tenderness and the sauce has thickened. Remove from heat and serve immediately.