Delicious and quick Leftover Turkey Curry is a flavorful change from your usual leftover turkey dinner ideas! While a traditional curry would take much longer to prepare properly, this curry recipe is meant to be a tasty alternative that you can quickly prepare and serve any day for your family dinner.
Best of all, this curry will help to use up some of those oven roasted turkey leftovers and it is very versatile…you can use roast chicken leftovers instead! If the vegetables included here are not your family’s favorites, switch them out for what your picky eaters will eat. Also, I like to use the vegetables that we already have on hand for making our holiday meals. Nothing fancy, we were snowed in over Thanksgiving so not only was I making due with our fresh vegetables but also trying to put everything to good use!
The base seasoning for this curry dinner recipe is our garam masala seasoning mix, which is a handy quick version based on spices you likely already have in your pantry. If you do have the whole spices available to add to your skillet while sauteing your onion and garlic, use them in place of the garam masala mix or to supplement the flavor. Simply remove any whole spices before adding the liquid ingredients.
The aroma in your kitchen will be amazing, and the seasoning can easily be adjusted by starting with less, and adding more as needed. I suggest tasting as you cook, and especially once the coconut milk has been added at the end of the cooking time. The coconut milk will mellow out all of the flavoring that has been built during the cooking process, so keep that in mind before serving your turkey curry.
Typically, curry is served over rice and I like to dish it up with Basmati rice or my coconut rice. Enjoy!
If you’re looking for more leftover recipe ideas to use up your oven roasted turkey, check out my other tasty turkey leftover meals – classic leftover turkey noodle soup, hearty leftover turkey tetrazzini and creamy leftover turkey a la king!
Last Updated: November 30th, 2019
Leftover Turkey Meals
- Leftover Turkey Curry (this page)
- Leftover Turkey a la King
- Leftover Turkey Tetrazzini
- Leftover Turkey Noodle Soup
Leftover Turkey Curry
- 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 white onion (small, diced)
- 1 clove garlic (large, crushed, chopped)
- 1 Tbsp garam masala seasoning mix (see recipe)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp ginger paste
- 3 carrots (medium, washed and cut into even sized pieces)
- 3 ribs celery (washed and cut into even sized pieces)
- 1 zucchini (washed and cut into even sized pieces)
- 1 red bell pepper (washed and sliced or cut into chunks)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 13.5 oz can coconut milk (unsweetened, full cream)
- 4 c turkey (diced into 1 inch chunks)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 c cilantro (fresh, chopped)
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add diced onion, garlic, and garam masala seasoning mix. Saute for 2-3 minutes, or until onion is becoming translucent.
- Add remaining vegetables and ginger paste, stir and saute for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add broth and tomato paste, stir to combine and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered until vegetables are tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and turkey, stir to combine. Add seasoning (smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, ground turmeric, and salt & pepper) and chopped cilantro, then stir and return to a low simmer.
- Simmer covered, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes to warm leftover turkey. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Remove from heat and serve over rice.